Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Grizzlife Mailbag

I'll be a junior in college this fall. I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I have no job prospects. But if I could be a journalist, and be relevant enough to have one of those electronic mailbag columns, than I'd be happy.

For now, I can only pretend.

"Grizzlife, thanks for your in-depth analysis of all things Grizz. The re-signing of Rudy Gay has caused alot of debate in Grizzlies' circles. Your thoughts?" -Brian, Collierville

Brian, thank you for your question, and your continuing interest in Grizzlife. Here are my thoughts: In alot of ways, the Grizzlies were in a no-win situation. Minnesota or the Clipshow or Nets owner Ivan Drago was going to give Gay at least a 65 million, front-loaded contract. If Memphis had let Rudy walk, it would have freed up a ton of cap room--money that could've been used to re-sign Ronnie Brewer, find a back up PG a la Luke Ridnour, and make a legitimate offer to O.J. Mayo, Zach Randolph, and Marc Gasol in the next couple of years. But it also would have been demoralizing to Grizz nation. Gay is the Grizzlies' most-familiar face; although he has only been in the league for four years, he has the longest tenure of any Memphis Grizzly. He is arguably the most well-liked member of the Grizz, and is the only thing we have resembling a seat-filler. Is he worth 84 million? No, especially if David Lee and Carlos Boozer are worth similar amounts. Could the Grizzlies have been wiser with their money? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, I'm okay with it. Ask me again next summer, when O.J. becomes a free agent.

"Jordan, back in February you predicted that Rudy Gay would be a member of the Washington Wizards. Having gone to Rudy's high school, you really got my hopes up. What do you have to say for yourself now?" -Darius, Baltimore, MD

Darius, my deepest apologies. I guess my 'sources' aren't as accurate as Broussard's. In my defense, I didn't know the Wizards would win the lottery and obtain John Wall. When Michael Heisley sells the team in the summer of 2012 (another prediction??), the overpaid Rudy will probably be on the trade block and you might get another chance.

"Grizzlife, when are you gonna start getting some real advertisements?"
-Julie M., Memphis

Julie, we are currently working on deals with Acura, Kroger Plus, and Drank Beverage Co.

"Jordan, did you really shave your head this summer?"
-Thomas I., Knoxville

Yes.

"What are your predictions for the 10-11 Grizz campaign?"
-Anonymous

I think that this will be the only year in the next five that Memphis has a legitimate chance at the playoffs. After next season, there is no way the current starting 5 will stay together, and we all know what the Grizzlies have beyond them...nothing.
Under the conditions that the Grizzlies sign one more legitimate free agent (whether it's Brewer, a PG, or another big) I predict a 47-35 season and a 7th place finish in the West. I also predict the Grizzlies WILL WIN their first playoff game in franchise history.
May all those who say I'm a pessimist be silent.

"Do you believe the Grizzlies will be in Memphis in 5 years?"
-a concerned 7 yr. season-ticket holder

To whomever it may concern that is concerned,
I believe that one of two things has to happen for the Grizzlies to remain in Memphis once the initial lease on the FedExForum runs out: 1) The Grizzlies have to become a perennial top-6 team in the West, to the point where Heisley believes they have a future as a franchise, or 2) A local ownership group has to come out of left field. (Maroda(s)?) Thanks for your support of Memphis' only major professional franchise. You're becoming an endangered species.

"Is Michael Conley, Jr. a legitimate starting point guard in the NBA?"
-MC Sr., Ohio

Of course...

"Is Michael Conley, Jr. a legitimate starting point guard in the NBA?"
-everyone else

Not.

"What will Rudy average in pts. and rebounds in the upcoming season?"
-Goat 5, Memphis

An interesting question. Much has been made over the fact that Rudy showed marginal improvement during a contract year last season. I think this is a valid point. I


want to think that Rudy will average 23 and 8, but I believe he will have similar statistics as last season.

"Rumor has it that your allegiance to the Golden State Warriors is starting to rival your love of the Grizzlies. Is that true?"
-Anonymous, Jackson, MS

D-Lee, Stephen Curry, and your boy Monta are three of my favorite players in the league. The Warriors are now easily my second favorite team, but that is all.

"Who is the Grizzlies biggest rival?"
-Eliot W., Portland, OR

The Blazers. Look up 'Darius Miles'. Heisley don't back down to no northwest fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment